We hope to be on the water again soon. Check back and watch the enews for updates.
Our Transition Strategy to get back in the boats is here:
Dragon Boat Charleston Club Guidelines for Practice:
- Individuals must wear a US Coast Guard approved, adjusted and fastened, personal floatation device (PDF) at all times while on the water.
- A safety boat/driver, must be in the water for the entire practice and a steersperson must be in the boat at all times.
- Practice will be called in the event of Coast Guard/DNR weather warnings and advisories that the river or other location where we will be paddling might be dangerous for paddlers, including some small craft advisories, hurricane conditions, and other.
- Staff reserves the right to cancel practice in the event of severe weather conditions. When conditions are questionable a decision can be made on the dock. Dock decisions are at the discretion of the volunteers (safety boat, steersperson, and coach). All volunteers must unanimously agree that conditions are safe in order to proceed with practice.
- Staff and volunteers will consider many variables including wind, current, fog/visibility, extreme temperatures and number and experience of paddlers.
- When possible, Saturday practice will be called by 3 pm on Friday. However, given the constantly changing conditions, paddlers should assume practice is on as scheduled but know that it is always a possibility to call the practice on the docks for safety concerns.
- In all cases, as with practice during the summer months, individuals should exercise their own discretion and judgment in determining if they should participate in a practice.